Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Momentary Blindness (Ostia Antica 5/31)

Right now it is alternating between very loud and very quiet.  Conversation engulfs me along with strong high pitched chirps.  However, when the people stop talking, the birds seem to as well, leaving a silence that cannot be found in Rome.  I am walking along a road.  I can feel the uneven stones beneath my feet forcing the soles of my shoes into my feet.  Each step feels different.  Sometimes I step on a flat, smooth surface, other times my foot falls on a sharp rock.  But they are all at different angles, making the walk quite exhausting.  I can really feel it in my calves and the bottoms of my feet.  The hot sun beats down on my head and arms, warming my hair.  The cool breeze does a bit to help cool me off, but overall it is a bit uncomfortable.  I start to veer left, off the stones and under flat, firm dirt.  It is much easier on my feet.  I extend my hand and gently run it across rough stone, feeling the toll that time has taken on the building.  As I follow the wall, the stone turns and suddenly I can’t feel the sun anymore.  The air feels damp.  My footsteps echo slightly.  I am inside an ancient ruin.  I sit down to enjoy the cool oasis.  The dirt feels pleasant under me.  I try to extend my legs, but find that there is a second wall blocking them.  I tuck my legs in and just sit, enjoying the presence of the past around me.


(Ostia Antica, 5/31, 10:47-11:00) 

No comments:

Post a Comment