Thursday, May 21, 2015

Giornale 1 at Markets of Trajan (5/19)



Today's solo outing was to the Markets of Trajan.  It was a somewhat surreal experience.  On one hand, it was full of amazing remains.  But on the other, it was housing a very modern fashion exhibit.  The two were often right next to each other.  On the right hand row of first floor shops, where we began our tour after putting our bags into lockers, there was a huge chunk of a temple, and to the side was a collection of dresses covered with depictions of green vegetables.  This was pretty much par for the course as we continued through the markets.  Overall, the space felt very much like a modern mall, though the entire structure is made of brick .  There was a main open area and on either side were shops, which are a little taller and narrower than modern shops at a mall. At the end of the main area were stairs leading up to the second floor which also contained shops overlooking the first floor.  However, the second floor also led into a larger series of connected rooms.  Navigating this floor was very cool.  Just when thought I had found the end I, I would notice a doorway leading to another set of halls and rooms.  I was a little annoying at times that ancient artifacts seemed to have been moved to accommodate the fashion.  At one point an informational video mentioned a hand on a statue that was not there.  But then we reached the balcony overlooking the Forum of Trajan and I forgot everything else.  On the ground near the curved ends of what used to be the Basilica of Trajan stood some modern art sculptures.  I found that these looked more appropriate than the fashions exhibition.  They were tall and thin enough that one could mistake them for statues if they glanced at them quickly enough.  Most of them were also white, though a few were black.  I stood here for quite a while, overlooking the Imperial Fora, trying to soak it all in.  The view from the balcony was stunning, overlooking the fora.  I could also get a good look at the Column of Trajan.  I still have no idea how this monument can be so well preserved after spending so much time in the elements.  Eventually I wanted to get out of the sun, so I went down some stairs and walked along the path above the basilica and found that it led me back to the other side of the first floor shops.  I went back into a couple shops and tried to imagine how they used to be.  This was the first time that I really felt like I was experiencing the ancient city.  I walked around a marketplace that was used thousands of years ago, and I'm lucky enough to be able to write this entry sitting in an ancient shop.  I’m very excited about what’s to come. 

1 comment:

  1. I wish we'd seen the Markets of Trajan. I love places that blend the ancient and modern -even if imperfectly.

    ReplyDelete