Thursday, May 28, 2015

Giornale 2 at Capitoline Museum (5/26)


For my second Giornale, I had to return to the Capitoline Museum.  I simply didn't get enough time there before.  I decided to brave the bus system to get there, and this time I took the right bus.  However, it started getting too crowded around the Largo Argentina, which is only a few blocks from the Capitoline. So I got off and simply walked the rest of the way.  I ascended the ramp up the hill and stood for a second to look at the statue of Marcus Aurelius.  I then bought my ticket and went inside.  Now that I had more time, I saw the space differently.  I no longer only focused on things I knew, but stopped to appreciate unnamed statues and unfamiliar pieces. In the first courtyard, I looked at a series of reliefs along one of the walls that I hadn't really noticed before, even though I remember staring in that direction.  I saw people, armor, flowers, and serpents captured in the marble.  I continued along the wall until I reached the corner, above which was a portico that covered three statues.  The center one was a statue of Minerva, the other two were labelled as a Dacian prisoner.  The statues seemed identical at first, but upon further inspection, the righthand statue's eyes seem wider.  I wonder who he was.  I climbed the stairs to the main gallery again and arrived in the room full of black and orange Greek pottery.  While I didn't linger here for too long, as there were still many other things I have more interest in, I still gave this room much more attention than I did previously.  I moved on to the room containing the remains of the Forma Urbis Romae.  I'm somehow amazed by how similar this is to a modern map.  While I'm sure that the ancients had a much better working knowledge of the city, it's still nice to know that they wanted to stick up a plan in a public place.  I then wandered over to the room with the fasti, the list of consuls.  When I was here last, Sarah pointed out some famous people on the list.  I spent a bit of time looking around for someone I recognized, but I couldn't find anyone.  Past that, I entered the room with the statue of the runner picking a thorn out of his foot, the name escapes me.  To the right is the green statue of Brutus with striking white eyes.  I still find this statue to be unnerving.  I left quickly.  From here I wandered through the gallery, looking for whatever caught my eye. I eventually came upon something I didn't see before.  Across from the awkward tetrarchs is a small alcovelike room containing lots of Christian iconography.  It was roped off.  I don't really know what it was or what it was doing there, but it felt really out of place.  Moving on, I reached the end of the gallery and a junction that would lead to the courtyard again, the stairs to the paintings on the second floor, or the stairs to the underground epigraphy corridor.  I skipped the paintings floor today.  Instead I headed for the stairs that could take me downstairs to the epigraphy.  But before I made it, I stopped to notice four reliefs at a landing on the staircase.  They're all magnificent.  One depicts Hadrian, the other three depict Marcus Aurelius in battle, in triumph, and performing a religious ceremony.  I continued downstairs.  Here I really stopped to admire the artifacts.  I also tried to read as much of the Latin as I could, and I did pretty well, even though it's starting to get a bit rusty and I didn't have a dictionary.  Lots were dedicated to the souls departed and described who erected the stones.  The corridor was also beautiful itself.  Light seemed to emanate from the two rows of stones that lined the walls; the lights below and out of sight.  Above me was a blue sky dotted with stars.  To top it all off, piano was playing gently in the background.  It all seemed very respectful, which surprised me.  It seemed as if they recognized the purpose these stoned served.  I eventually left to come to the statue of Mars, which I was disappointed to read was not the original, but a copy from the Flavian era.  Oh well, it's still beautiful.  I climbed the stairs to the hall of busts to see more famous people, but that's not quite all that happened.  Determined to see things I hadn’t seen before, I went into a smaller room.  This room seemed to only contain busts without names.  A weird thing happened.  I felt as though I could walk among them as opposed to simply past them.  Their eyes seemed closer and as though they were looking at me, instead of above me.  I felt as though I was close to experiencing something resembling the old city.  It was very cool.  I then went into the room with all the famous people again, and this time into the room with the emperors as well.  I stayed a bit, seeing those representing the glory of imperial Rome before museum fatigue started to hit me and I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment