Thursday, May 21, 2015

Space and Place (Palatine Hill 5/21)

As I stood looking up on the Palatine Hill, I thought to myself that it seemed isolated.  That probably had a lot to do with the fence that now surrounds it, but it was tough to see up due to the trees that grow on it.  After we entered, a small and constantly changing group of us began to climb the hill.  As we walked, I found myself forgetting that I was in the middle of a city.  I looked to my left at the remains of a once mighty building.  I didn't know what many of the ruins were, which I liked.  We continued up the path, which narrowed before opening out over a large sunken courtyard, which I learned was the Stadium of Domitian, a non functional race track built by the emperor.  We turned left and came to more ruins, and continuing on reached an overlook to the Circus Maximus.  Even in its somewhat pathetic state, the massive space of the old track is truly awe inspiring.  It must have been incredibly impressive in antiquity, and it is a small wonder that the emperor built his house so it would have a good view of the track.  We turned back into the ruins.  I felt as though I was walking through a maze.  So much of what remains looks similar.  I wonder if it was always like that or if there were ways to identify where you were.  I would have been incredibly embarrassing for the Emperor if he got lost in his own palace.  We kept walking and reached the Baths of Maxientius.  I couldn't tell where different complexes started and ended.  Everything just bled together.  Eventually, Sarah and I found a bench on which to rest for a bit before leaving.  The space was one where I could easily get lost and lose myself, which is pretty cool.


Palatine Hill
5/21/15

No comments:

Post a Comment